1958 Birmingham Fire Ad
Birmingham Fire & Rescue
This image is from the September, 1956 issue of Fire Engineering Magazine. These Birmingham Firefighters were in a Dupont ad for fire hoses made with Dacron.
"The Birmingham Fire Department uses more than 20 miles of hose made with 'Dacron' polyester fiber. The switch to 'Dacron' was ordered by Chief Hoyt M. Ayers in 1955. Chief Ayers finds the new hose lighter and more flexible - two vital qualities meaning easy handling, fast action."
The caption on the picture reads: "BIRMINGHAM, ALA. Fire Department reports: Lighter, more flexible hoses of 'Dacron' adapt well to latest fire-fighting techniques."